The Cotswolds is one of the most picturesque areas in Britain, there is no wonder it is a haven for holiday makers, second home owners and people looking for a more relaxed way of life. Based in Moreton-in-Marsh, Holmans Estate Agents have the pleasure of marketing properties in some of the most beautiful villages in the North Cotswolds and the picturesque and quintessentially Cotswold village of Blockley is certainly one of our favourites! In this month’s blog, we want to share our top five reasons that we love it so much…
If you currently live in Blockley and want to find out how much your home might be worth, use our free Online Valuation Tool, it only takes 60 seconds!
1. Good Looks and Charm- We are all drawn to good looks, wit and charm, and it is fair to say that Blockley has it in abundance! The Church of St Peter & St Paul stands prominently in the centre of the village and is the set of the famous TV show, Father Brown! Whilst the majority of the architecture around the church is built in the local Cotswold stone and dates back to the 16thand 17thcentury, meaning that Blockley High Street, truly is one of the most picturesque streets you could wish to come across and is the perfect setting for any home.
2. Eateries and Pubs- Although Blockley is a relatively small village with a population of around 2000 people. At the centre of the village there is a fantastic café/restaurant, @BlockleyCafe which transforms from traditional coffee shop in the daytime to a fine dining bistro in the evening with their Chef Proprietor having developed his career and skills at Great Tew’s Soho Farmhouse, the food is absolutely fantastic!
There is also the more traditional public houses and hostelries of The Great Western and Crown Hotel to enjoy more traditional pub fayre and open fires.
3. Countryside walks- You are truly spoilt for choice when it comes to countryside walks and adventures in Blockley. So many walks start in Blockley and incorporate woodland, lakes, hills and most importantly many traditional public houses with roaring fires for those chiller days!
4. Links to London- Although Blockley is nestled in its own little valley within the rolling Cotswold countryside, it is still only 4 miles from Moreton-in-Marsh which has its own railway station with links directly to Oxford and London Paddington. So, although you have the benefit of feeling totally disconnected from the world, you are only 2 hours away from The Capital!
5. Community Spirit- There really is a fantastic community spirit in Blockley, this is a long standing tradition which probably originates from it being home to over 50 local shops, banks and businesses throughout the 18thto early 20thcentury. Blockley really was a vibrant and self-sufficient community throughout these times and if you are luckily to meet one of the life-long residence of the village who experienced this time, then they will tell you with great enthusiasm what a wonderful village it was to be part of. Now this community feel continues but in the more modern form of clubs, societies, Blockley Café, Blockley Amateur Dramatics Club which holds regular shows and last but not least, the lovely residence of Blockley who are always happy to help out a neighbour.
If you are as tempted by the charm of Blockley as much as we are, then use our free Online Valuation Tool to find out how much your property might be worth. Alternatively, please contact our High Street office in Moreton-in-Marsh to discuss how we can help you realise your dream move to The Cotswolds.